America’s Top 20 Driving Pet Peeves
You ever have one of those driving days where it seems everyone is out to make you mad? That was yesterday for me. It seemed that every one of my driving pet peeves were being realized.
First, I'm traveling down they highway and some lady is doing 58 in the fast lane (speed limit was 70). When I finally get around her to give her the Merrell stare, she's oblivious because she's too busy talking on the phone. Later, when I get to a red light, the punk beside me is blasting and booming his stereo for all to hear, and believe me, the words were not G rated.
A little later down the road the car in front of me decreases their speed little by little until they're almost down to 15mph and finally it comes on...blink, blink,...yeah, thanks for using your blinker, about 10 seconds to late. And then I finally get to my destination, but the parking lot is full, mainly because at least 3 cars had taken up a space and a half each because they couldn't park between the lines.
Honestly, out of all these, my biggest pet peeve is when someone either doesn't use their blinker or puts it on too late. I think you should put your blinker on before you ever slow down or hit or brakes to turn. What about you? What are some things that other drivers do that drive you nuts?
Consumer Reports National Research Center did a survey back in March to find out what perturbs American's the most. The closer the number to 10, the bigger the pet peeve among those researched. Oh, by the way, the study indicates that women have less patience than men when it comes to drivers who don't follow the rules.
1. Texting on a cell phone while driving: 8.9 out of 10
2. Able-bodied drivers parking in handicapped spaces: 8.7
3. Tailgaters: 8.4
4. Drivers who cut you off: 8.3
5. Speeding and swerving in and out of traffic: 8.2
6. Taking up two parking spaces: 7.7
7. Talking on a cell phone while driving: 7.6
8. Not letting you merge into a lane: 7.6
9. Not dimming high beams when approaching: 7.6
10. Not using turn signals: 7.5
11. Slow drivers dawdling in the passing lane: 7.3
12. Jaywalkers stepping in front of your car: 7.3
13. Excessive horn honking: 7.1
14. Slowing down to "rubberneck" at accidents: 7.0
15. Not turning on headlights when it's raining or at dusk: 6.8
16. Drivers who are indecisive about when to turn: 6.6
17. Slow drivers on a two-lane road who won't pull over: 6.5
18. Not going when the light turns green: 6.1
19. Bicyclists who don't let you by: 5.8
20. Cranking up the radio volume: 5.7