Comic-Con 2017: ‘The Defenders’ Panel Teases ‘Punisher,’ ‘Iron Fist’ and More
We’ve less than a month before Marvel’s Netflix Defenders hit the street, but the fab foursome are already devastating Comic-Con 2017. Find out what major details Hell’s Kitchen and Harlem’s heroes revealed from the assembled cast in San Diego with our full panel report!
- Before the cast assembled onstage, Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb was granted an Inkpot award from Comic-Con brass. Loeb also noted that Marvel TV had finally made it to Hall H, after years of panels in Ballroom 20.
- Loeb also noted the unorthodox characters that comprise The Defenders, including one that headlined a “bad Ben Affleck movie,” and another obscure figure mainly known for her drinking.
- Loeb didn’t get terribly far before Punisher and Daredevil star Jon Bernthal took the stage, preparing to introduce a spinoff clip that saw Frank Castle taking out thugs in multiple locales, including Alabama and Mexico. More on that later.
- Once the cast was assembled onstage, Jeph Loeb confirmed that Iron Fist would return for Season 2, aided by Simone Missick’s Misty Knight joining the cast. Daughters of the Dragon, anyone? Well, if we couldn’t’ skip a second season for Power Man and Iron Fist, that’s a pretty close second.
- Elodie Yung noted that Elektra was now an “amnesiac” trained by Sigourney Weaver’s Alexandra; hence all the fighting and evil-ness from that first trailer.
- Krysten Ritter noted that Jessica would bring her trademark sass to the series, especially when it comes to Matt Murdock being the only one of the team to wear a costume.
- Unsurprisingly, the Defenders panel took a break to show the team-up miniseries’ first episode! Lucky ducks.
- Afterward, Marvel premiered a second trailer for The Defenders, which you can check out above.
Now set for an August 18 premiere, Marvel’s eight-episode Netflix Defenders will feature among the returning cast Elodie Yung, Jessica Henwick, Scott Glenn, Rosario Dawson, Rachael Taylor, Simone Missick, Deborah Ann Woll, Carrie-Anne Moss, Elden Henson and Eka Darville. Sigourney Weaver will portray the villainous “Alexandra,” while the team-up series will be helmed by Daredevil showrunner Marco Ramirez, and directed in part by Jessica Jones director S.J. Clarkson.
We’ll likely have more looks at The Defenders soon, so watch the first trailer below and stay tuned.