Etoile Woman Passes Away in Late Night House Fire
An early morning fire on Tuesday has claimed the life of an Etoile woman. According to the Nacogdoches County Sheriff's Office, dispatch received a 911 call around 4:25 am in reference to a structure fire in the 700 block of County Road 559 in Etoile.
The Etoile Volunteer Fire Department along with several other area volunteer fire departments responded to the scene. Sheriff's Deputies were also dispatched to the call. Investigation at the scene revealed that two people were inside the mobile home when one of the ladies woke up and could smell smoke. The owner of the residence was handicapped and in a wheelchair. She was able to make it out of the west end of the residence. She then called for help from two nearby neighbors. The neighbors attempted to enter a door to the residence but the fire was too hot and drove them back. They went to the east side of the residence where the victim was still inside a bedroom. They attempted to pull out an Air Conditioner window unit to make entry into the bedroom where the victim was trapped but were unable to.
The fire quickly consumed the mobile home and the victim was later found deceased inside the residence. The victim has been identified as Sarah Elise Moore, 57, from Etoile.
Investigators learned after speaking with witnesses that there had been recent electrical issues at the residence. The State Fire Marshal’s Office and an Arson investigator with the Nacogdoches County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene.
A preliminary investigation has shown that the fire started near the living room of the residence in the south wall, and then spread quickly toward the east end of the residence. It does appear that electrical issues were the cause of the fire, however this investigation is still ongoing.