Luke Combs’ ‘What You See Is What You Get’ Offers No Apologies [Listen]
Luke Combs isn't apologizing for anything he stands for on the title track from his upcoming sophomore album, What You See Is What You Get.
"What You See Is What You Get" manages to walk the line between being unapologetic and brash due to Combs' stellar songwriting capabilities. The song spells out exactly who Combs is as a person. "I'm a puzzle / I'm a walking contradiction / In far from mint condition / 'Cause there's pieces I can't find," he sings to begin.
Combs exploits the rich, gruff texture of his upper range in the chorus. The lyrics present him as a musical Everyman.
"I'm a straight-shooting, beer-drinking, rule-breaking / Don't think I won't take a good thing too far / I'm a midnighting, backsliding, getaway car-driving / Running away with your heart / I guess, be careful what you wish for, is all I meant when I said / What you see is what you get," he sings with full confidence.
The track doubles down on Combs' traditional country music production with honky-tonk pianos, flourishes of steel guitar, twang-infused electric guitars and pulsating drums. "What You See Is What You Get" is a blend of slick modern production paired with the signature twang of classic Brooks & Dunn.
Combs is set to release What You See Is What You Get on Nov. 8. The album serves as the followup to his massively successful This One's For You project, which scored him No. 1 hits in "Hurricane," "When It Rains it Pours," "One Number Away," "She Got the Best of Me" and "Beautiful Crazy."
Fans have already heard several more songs from What You See Is What You Get. Combs notched another No. 1 hit with the album's lead single, "Beer Never Broke My Heart," and the second single from the project, "Even Though I'm Leaving," is currently at country radio.
The singer also revealed the tracklist for What You See Is What You Get on Oct. 7, which includes a duet with Eric Church titled "Does to Me" and a collaboration with Brooks & Dunn on "1, 2 Many' that fans have already heard.
Combs is currently on his Beer Never Broke My Heart Tour and will embark on his What You See Is What You Get Tour on Feb. 7. Ashley McBryde and Drew Parker will be joining him on the road as support acts.
Luke Combs tickets are still available to some of his upcoming shows.
Luke Combs' What You See Is What You Get Tracklist:
1. “Beer Never Broke My Heart” (Luke Combs / Randy Montana / Jonathan Singleton)
2. “Refrigerator Door” (Luke Combs / Jordan Brooker)
3. “Even Though I’m Leaving” (Luke Combs /Wyatt Durrette / Ray Fulcher)
4. “Lovin’ on You” (Luke Combs / Thomas Archer / Ray Fulcher / James McNair)
5. “Moon Over Mexico” (Luke Combs / Ray Fulcher / Dan Isbell / Jonathan Singleton)
6. “1, 2 Many” (feat. Brooks & Dunn) (Luke Combs / Dan Isbell / Tyler King / Drew Parker)
7. “Blue Collar Boys” (Luke Combs /Erik Dylan / Ray Fulcher / Derrick Moody)
8. “New Every Day” (Luke Combs / Ray Fulcher / Josh Thompson)
9. “Reasons” (Luke Combs / Ray Fulcher / James McNair)
10. “Every Little Bit Helps” (Luke Combs / Chase McGill / James McNair)
11. “Dear Today” (Luke Combs / Erik Dylan / Rob Snyder)
12. “What You See Is What You Get” (Luke Combs / Barry Dean / Jonathan Singleton)
13. “Does to Me” (feat. Eric Church) (Luke Combs / Ray Fulcher / Tyler Reeve)
14. “Angels Workin’ Overtime” (Luke Combs / Josh Phillips / Josh Thompson)
15. “All Over Again” (Luke Combs / Corey Crowder / Ray Fulcher)
16. “Nothing Like You” (Luke Combs / Drew Parker / Robert Williford)
17. “Better Together” (Luke Combs / Dan Isbell / Randy Montana)
These Are the Top 10 Luke Combs Songs: