Numerous Area Highways Scheduled for Sealcoating this Summer
You've heard of deer season, duck season, football season, baseball season, and hurricane season. But, how about sealcoating season?
Well, right about this time every year, the Texas Department of Transportation starts their yearly routine of applying sealcoat to area roads so that they last longer. The process also enhances the safety of the roadway. Actually, the sealcoating usually gets underway closer to May, but the excessive rainy weather of the late Spring caused this year's sealcoating to be pushed back until now.
Sealcoating is scheduled to begin in the Lufkin District July 14. Signage indicating the scheduled work is in place. Work is expected to continue over several weeks at locations throughout the nine-county district. As this work begins, motorists should prepare for delays through these work zones, reduce speed and stay alert for moving equipment and workers. Fines double when workers are present. Work will be dependent upon weather conditions.
Many of the roads scheduled for sealcoating are heavily traveled. Locations approved for sealcoating in the 2021 district sealcoat schedule are:
- US 190: From 3.2 miles west of FM 1276 to 0.6 miles southwest of FM 1276; from 0.1 miles west of FM 1276 to the Tyler County line.
- US 59: From BU 59 to US 190; from US 190 to 1.6 miles south of US 190.
- SL 393: From the US 59 North intersection to the US 59 South intersection.
- FM 3278: From FM 1988 to the Trinity River Bridge
- FM 3152: From US 190 to FM 350
- FM 357: From the Trinity County line to US 59
- FM 1988: From US 59 to 0.4 miles south of FM 3278
- SH 19: From the Houston County line to 0.1 miles south of FM 1617; from 0.1 miles south of FM 1617 to the Trinity River Bridge.
- FM 1280: From SH 19 to FM 2781
- FM 2262: From US 287 to FM 357
- US 287: From BU 287 to 2.1 miles north of FM 2663 to SL 304
- SH 7: From SL 304 to 3.6 miles East of SL 304; from 0.2 miles East of FM 232 to Kennard.
- SH 21: From FM 1733 to FM 227 North
- SL 304: From SH 21 to SH 7; from SH 7 East to SH 19 South.
- FM 2663: From US 287 to FM 2022
- SH 63: From US 69 to the Jasper County line
- FM 1818: From US 59 to FM 58
- FM 843: From US 69 to US 59
- SH 204: From the Cherokee County line to US 259
- FM 225: From just west of CR 715 to US 59
- FM 95: From SH 7 to SH 21
- US 96: From the San Augustine County line to SH 184
- SH 21: From SH 87 to the Sabine River Bridge
SAN AUGUSTINE COUNTY
- US 96: From SH 103 to the Sabine County line
- SH 87: From SH 147 to the Sabine County line
- FM 139: From FM 2694 to SH 87
- US 84: From the Rusk County line to US 59
- US 59: From 2.8 miles south of SH 87 to SH 87 in Timpson
- FM 711: From SH 7 to the San Augustine County line
- FM 2974: From the end of state maintenance to FM 138
- FM 947: From the city of Timpson to the city of Tenaha