Area Teams Ready for Tonight’s 3rd Round of Playoffs
The UIL Basketball Regional Quarterfinals are here. Quite a few area teams are just 3 wins away from advancing to the state finals in San Antonio. Let's take a look at the games involving Deep East Texas teams.
- Lufkin vs. Mansfield Timberview, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Fairfield HS
After a thrilling triple overtime victory over Arlington Seguin, the Pack will take on Mansfield Timberview who has easily taken care of their two playoff opponents (Dallas Adamson and Marshall). Timberview finished 2nd in District 14-5A, just ahead of Seguin. Timberview and Seguin split their two games in district play.
- Lufkin Hudson vs. Tatum, 7 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Nacogdoches HS
- Center vs. Diboll, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Stephen F. Austin, Nacogdoches
These two games in Region III feature teams that are very familiar with each other. The Hudson Hornets traveled to Tatum earlier this year and fell 49-39. Meanwhile, Diboll hosted the Roughriders in January and Center came away with a 66-51 victory. But...that was then, and this is now. Expect close matchups in both games.
- Grapeland vs. LaPoynor, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Rusk HS
- San Augustine vs. Dallardsville Big Sandy, 7 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Hudson HS
- Alto vs. Tenaha, 7 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Nacogdoches Central Heights HS
The Grapeland Sandies have played LaPoynor twice this season, losing both times. However, both games were close. Big Sandy came into the season as a favorite to go all the way and claim the state title, so the Wolves of San Augustine will have the hands full. Big Sandy has only one loss this year and that came against 4A powerhouse LaMarque. If Tenaha has their way, the game will Alto will be a track meet. The Tigers like to play fast-paced. This should be a great match up of district champions.
- Coolidge 87, Laneville 79
- Chireno vs. Calvert, 7 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Crockett HS
- Waelder vs Leggett, 6 p.m. Tuesday (March 1), Bryan Rudder High School
Chireno is the lone survivor of playoff teams from District 28-A after Laneville's loss on Monday. The Mighty Owls have playoff wins against Kennard and Lometa. District 29-A champion Leggett will take on Waelder who was the runner up in District 30-A.