Friday Night Frenzy Features Douglass, Crockett, and the Dazzlers
Week Two is Here
We are getting set for our second installment of the KICKS 105 Friday Night Frenzy powered by Kelly's Truck Parts. There were a lot of nailbiters in just the first week of the season. Jasper's last-second touchdown, the Center Roughriders going to 4 overtimes for their victory, and Nacogdoches showing the grit to come from behind to tie the game, only to all in the last few seconds of the game.
Once again, we'll be providing the most comprehensive list and update of high school football scores in Deep East Texas, sponsored by Truss & Son Plumbing.
The KICKS 105 Friday Night Football Frenzy airs from 9 - 11 pm and is full of features celebrating football and those who make Friday nights special. Let's take a look back and a look ahead.
FNF Game of the Week Powered by East Texas Slab Masters
Last week's game of the week featured Huntington taking on Elkhart. The game was close, but then the Elks pulled away in the second half en route to a 42-20 victory.
This week, there are several stand-out games on paper, so we're adding an 's' to this feature and highlighting our game's' of the week.
CROCKETT @ RUSK
The Bulldogs kept racking up the points in the 4th quarter to upset 4th-ranked Marlin 48-31. Meanwhile, Rusk dominated Fairfield on the road by a 35-3 score. Will Crockett be able to continue the momentum on their first road game of the year? Will the Eagles play even better at their first home game of the year? Crockett's high-powered offense against Rusk's stingy defense...this should be a good one.
NEWTON @ WOODVILLE
It's a battle of the Eagles as a perennial powerhouse, Newton, is on the road for the second straight week. Newton defeated Anahuac to open the season 30-14, but it was not an easy victory. Meanwhile, Woodville gave the 2nd-ranked team in the state (Franklin) all they could handle before losing to the Lions 22-12. Woodville opens their home slate with yet another top-five team, but don't be surprised to see the home team keep it close, or perhaps even come away with a W.
NACOGDOCHES @ LUFKIN
All arrows seem to point to the Panthers to score another victory in this 'Oldest Rivalry in Texas'. Lufkin took a big step in the positive direction with a big win over 6A Tyler Legacy at Rose Stadium. Meanwhile, thanks to miscues, the Dragons fell far behind 4A Palestine before tieing the score but then allowing the Wildcats to score the winning TD in the final minute of the game. If Nacogdoches can start the game with much more consistency, this could be a good game. Regardless, when these two teams meet, anything can happen. Oh, and the Pack will be honoring the Lufkin Dunbar Tigers at Friday's game as they don the black and white uniforms of Dunbar.
FNF Drill Team of the Week Powered by Brown Family Health Center
This week, we salute the Diboll Dazzlers drill team.
Every week, the team chooses a Dazzler of the Week. This honor is chosen by the Dazzler officers and social officers each week to recognize a Dazzler who goes above and beyond with positive energy, hard work, and noticeable dance improvement. The Dazzler of the week was Natalie Espitia.
FNF Student-Athletes of the Week Powered by Pilgrim's Lufkin
Douglass Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams
We salute the boys' and girls' cross country teams from Douglass High School. Each team has had a great start to the season.
At the Jana Broxson Cross Country Invitational in Corrigan, the varsity girls brought home the gold in the team competition. Some of the individual stand-out performances include top ten finishes by Addie Rose, Anahi Mayes, Leah Roach, and Izzy Ball. The girls also placed second at the Slocum Cross Country Meet.
In Corrigan, the Douglass boy's team took home top honors. Noah Jones, Garrett Karns, Drake Freeman, and Luke Jones all had top ten finishes. Meanwhile, in Slocum, the boys grabbed another gold with a first-place finish.
We will be featuring other standouts each Friday including the following:
FNF Run DMC Awards powered by Dedicated Medical Center (Urgent Care, Orthopedic, and MRI)
- Each Friday we'll be highlighting some of the top rushers and runs of the night. Last Friday, Kedren Young took top Run DMC honors for the Lufkin Panthers as he powered for 2 touchdowns while gaining 119 yards in the Pack's victory over Tyler Legacy.
FNF Stunners of the Night powered by Texas National Bank
- Every Friday, some of the underdogs pull off the upset, and our Stunners of the Night spotlight some of those games. Last week, we featured three teams in this category.
- Jasper stunned Kinkaid 20-15 with a last-second touchdown via a ricochet.
- Crockett upset 4th-ranked Marlin, 48-31, with a barrage of late touchdowns.
- It took 4 overtimes, but the Center Roughriders slipped past Tatum 44-42.
FNF You So Totally Rock Top 10 Teams of the Night Powered by Whataburger
- Maybe it was a huge upset, maybe it was a very convincing win, maybe it was a last-second win...this is where we select the top teams of the night. Here are the Top 10 Teams from Friday, August 26 (in no particular order)
- Lufkin exacts revenge on the road against Tyler Legacy
- Jasper uses the tip drill to win on the last play of the game
- Rusk demolishes Fairfield on the road
- Timpson, in a marquee matchup, rolls past Beckville
- Lovelady takes down Groveton
- Garrison uses big plays to get past Hughes Springs
- Hemphill blanks San Augustine, 44-0.
- Crockett stuns 4th-ranked Marlin
- Apple Springs whips up on Trinity School of Texas
- Center goes to 4 overtimes to slip past Tatum
FNF Hotline sponsored by Strickland Plumbing and HVAC
We want to hear from you during the Friday Night Frenzy. Report the scores, let us know about something crazy that happened, or just tell us how awesome your team is. The lines are open every Friday night at 936-639-5957.
You can also chat with us using the KICKS 105 App. Just look for the chat icon at the top of the page.
Want to submit someone or a group for Band of the Week, Drill Team of the Week, Cheerleaders of the Week, Student-Athletes of the Week, or tell us about an outstanding team or individual performance? Just e-mail me at Danny@KICKS105.com.
See the Must-Drive Roads in Every State