Heavy Downpours are Leading to Flash Flooding in East Texas
Storms with heavy downpours are on the increase this morning across much of East Texas. Over a half foot of rain has fallen in some areas around Lake Livingston, especially along the western side of the lake.
This has prompted the National Weather Service in League City, Texas to issue a Flash Flood Warning effective until noon today for west central Polk County and south central Trinity County. Rainfall totals of 2 to 5 inches are quite common across that area and heavy rain continues to fall.
This area of storms has expanded over the past hour or so and is bringing heavy rain across the warned area as well as into other areas of Trinity, Polk, Houston and Angelina Counties. Some of the rainfall rates have been anywhere from 1.5 to 3.75 inches per hour. Areas around Onalaska, Groveton and Sebastopol have reported flooding of some roadways and streams.
Rain with the possibility of heavy downpours remains in the forecast for Deep East Texas through most of the weekend. The official forecast from the National Weather Service gives the Lufkin/Nacogdoches area a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms through Saturday, with a 40% chance on Sunday.
Most weather models show East Texas getting about 1-2 inches of cumulative rainfall from these storms, but, obviously, there could be isolated higher amounts as has been evidenced by today's storm totals.
Download the KICKS 105 app for keep up with the latest and to have weather alerts sent to you smartphone.